In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I was born in this house and as a boy, I remember often seeing foxes, badgers and weasels around the place.
- Raccoons, civets, jackals, badgers, skunks, and bears also eat fruit, honey, seeds, roots, and other plant foods.
- A little higher off the forest floor, they can tick red squirrels, badgers, otters and foxes off their nature checklist, and if they are lucky, spot herds of red deer bounding over the hillside.
- In their search for food, most of which is comprised of burrowing rodents, badgers tear up large areas of earth with powerful digging claws on their forefeet.
- I thought they were skinny badgers or fat weasels.
- Prairie dogs also provide food for the swift fox, the coyote, weasels, snakes, badgers, hawks and golden eagles as well as crucial habitat for many other native plants and animals.
- This is certainly the case with one of my favourite mammals - the badger.
- Wrens, ferrets, weasels, badgers, birds of prey, horses' heads and stoats are just a few of the creatures that populate the workshop at the back of his home in Delavale Road, Winchcombe.
- Foxes, red squirrels, badgers, hares, otters, Scottish wild cats, seals and bottle-nose dolphins can be seen if you have the dedication to find them.
- They are carnivores like the stoat, weasel, otter and badger.
- Both animals are related species and are members of the Mustelid family, which also includes mink, badgers and weasels.
- Pocket gophers, gopher tortoises, ants, badgers, prairie dogs, wild pigs, and grizzly bears are just a few of the animals that can alter ecological structure and function.
- But magistrates also heard no licence was applied for by Barratts to protect the badgers under the 1992 Badgers Act.
- Over the years, game species, such as moose and bighorn sheep, and other creatures, such as badgers and river otters, were killed in appalling numbers.
- The badger, by contrast, is of the weasel family Mustelidae, order Carnivora.
- They do, however, both belong to the same Mustelidae family which also encompasses badgers, skunks and otters, and that's close enough for us.
- A badger's coat looks grey, but the individual hairs are black and white.
- The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.
- It didn't take long before the spilt food attracted mice, and the mice attracted badgers, and the badgers attracted crazy porcupine things that we call Critters.
- The old prison is now a museum, and the nearby wildlife park has rare Scottish wildcats as well as silver foxes, badgers, deer and wallabies.
1fastidiardarle la lata a coloquialthey've been badgering me to take them to the park — me han estado dando la lata para que los lleve al parque coloquial
- she was finally badgered into signing — tanto insistieron, que al final firmó
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.