In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The team also have no intention of swapping their headscarves for the traditional hats and balaclavas.
- She had just walked out of a beauty salon when she was attacked by six men wearing balaclavas and dark clothing.
- Should councils be allowed to stop people wearing hoods and balaclavas?
- The men, one wearing a baseball cap and the other a balaclava, got out and used a baton to smash the passenger side window of the Corsa.
- Gardaí said the assailants wore balaclavas and motorcycle helmets and made their getaway on a black motorcycle.
- They were all wearing balaclavas, dark close-fitting clothes and short bomber-style jackets.
- I wear a balaclava under my helmet: the assistant then refused to serve me because they couldn't see my face.
- Police patrols in south Manchester will force suspicious characters to remove balaclavas and hoods after a teenager was shot and killed.
- Our costumes would be SAS uniforms, with balaclavas to hide our faces.
- The man with the gun, clad from head to toe in black clothing and wearing a balaclava underneath the hood of his coat, asked for money.
- The gunman, who wore a balaclava and a black bomber jacket, ran out of the house and fled the area, initially on foot.
- The raiders are described as white and were wearing black clothes, balaclavas and gloves.
- Three men, wearing boilersuits and balaclavas, were involved in the raid, which left a security guard slightly injured.
- The gunman wore a light blue tracksuit and a balaclava of the same colour with the eyes and mouth cut out.
- The offenders were wearing balaclavas, scarves or hoods pulled down to cover their faces.
- Detectives say the attacker was tall and slim and wearing a dark knitted balaclava and a baseball cap which may have had a silver peak.
- I suppose it could have been some sort of hat rather than a balaclava.
- Do you agree with the policy to make youngsters remove balaclavas or hoods?
- Actually, the faces were barely visible - just the eyes through the slits in the woollen balaclavas they wore.
- He was wearing a dark balaclava, dark coat, blue denim jeans and white trainers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.