In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The undulating streams, swaying bamboos, sylvan surroundings and trekking tracts make Ganeshgudi and Dandeli unique holiday destinations.
- Most bamboos fall between the two physiological states of constant flowering and constant sterility.
- There are numerous true bamboos, running and clumping types, that can be grown in the garden or in large containers.
- The towering banana trees, giant bamboos and coconut palms were surrounded by endless varieties of smaller plants and flowers.
- His slides showed examples of phormium, umbellifors, ferns and grasses, such as yuccas, angelica, tree ferns, bamboos and pampas grass.
- At the technical level, the bamboos were engraved by either a scorch-marking process or with sharp quartz flints, pieces of shell or other similar instruments.
- The mild Puget Sound climate provides a perfect environment for the maples, bamboos, azaleas, broad-leafed evergreens, and conifers that are the backbone of Japanese garden design.
- Grasses and bamboos, on the other hand, hate disturbance at this time of year, preferring to be worked on in the spring or early summer.
- Several noninvasive, clumping bamboos do well.
- These included a number of exotic plants - rhododendrons, bamboos, and tree ferns being particularly well represented.
- Grasses, sedges and bamboos are grown mostly for their foliage and anything that enhances that effect is worth having.
- I have seen giant bamboos growing; the effect is a bit like a free range, organic church organ.
- Some bamboos will grow well in Wales as they are frost-hardy and evergreen.
- All are supplied from his exotic collection of hundreds of different bamboos plus palms, tree ferns, grasses, unusual evergreens and rare conifers.
- The turquoise blue Martha Brae river ran in a big curve through the estate, overhung with giant bamboos and full of crayfish.
- But I am going to shave and trim my goatee which seems to be growing at the happy rate of bamboos.
- The more desirable garden bamboos are, naturally, those that grow slowly at the root and have rapid vertical growth.
- Rain drove us indoors to the warmth of a huge German wood-burning stove in a room with floor to ceiling windows, overlooking a large cobbled atrium with grasses and bamboos in containers.
- The gardens which surround it include mature bamboos, tree ferns, Italian Cypresses and mature Agaves.
- Upon reaching the unimaginably elegant and tranquil village, our visual senses were overwhelmed by verdant and lush hills, slender young bamboos, stout-aged pines, and two joyous streams.
2(stems)caña de bambú femeninobambú masculino(furniture) de bambú
- First they cut a little well into bark and fill it with water carried in hollow bamboo.
- Sometimes, the placing and spacing requires a bit of thought, so I poke in small bamboo canes where I want plants to go.
- They have no money and spend every day carrying rice up the mountain on bamboo sticks.
- Jute bags look stylish enough, when used as carry bags fitted with bamboo or cane handles.
- The strong smoky flavour comes from laying the tea leaves on bamboo trays above burning pinewood.
- They fed me on boiled pumpkin, wild rice, little mud fish and river prawns cooked in hollow bamboo tubes.
- With no windows the interior is illuminated only by the thin needles of light entering between the bamboo canes.
- Shadow puppets are manipulated with bamboo sticks attached to the lower part of leather puppets.
- The craftsmen process the bamboo by cleansing and soaking the bamboo stems in water for a couple of days.
- We also organise festivals to popularise bamboo furniture and local art forms.
- The thatched roofs are made out of palm fronds, and the walls out of bamboo or cane.
- I always use a few bamboo canes to mark the planting position so I don't damage the shallow - planted bulbs.
- For those who had seen only bamboo furniture on the roadsides, it was different.
- For, artisans from the northeast are here with their bamboo and cane works.
- As the masks are made of bamboo and cane, it is very light and easy to don.
- The arrival of synthetic products may have pushed bamboo and cane out of the front rows in the market.
- The neighboring village of Bona is also known as a major producer of bamboo furniture and basketry.
- I stand over another well, another deep hole, but this one has long bamboo poles and timber flung in.
- This reminds me of when my Dad used to make kites for me out of bamboo canes and brown paper.
- State bamboo and cane products received the first orders from China and Turkey.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.