In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1región de clima templado femenino
- But it's an unusual pocket of warmth, resulting from marine effects and a coastline that curves inland, that has helped to earn this area a reputation as the banana belt of Oregon.
- It also thrives in the banana belts of the inland valleys if they are well enough protected.
- In fact, some slopes are called banana belts, because they remain frost-free much longer than valley floors, which may be subjected to hard frosts.
- When high peaks are buried in snow, valleys on the lea side are often banana belts - areas of warmer than expected weather.
- Alaskans, with what passes for humour, call this relatively temperate south-eastern corner of their state ‘the banana belt’.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.