In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- From the red velvet drapes and smooth polished wood floors to the gorgeous blue banquettes and art-covered walls, we think you're rather going to like Baykus.
- Instead Currid's has attractively upholstered banquette seating and padded stools.
- A New Orleans-esque red glow suffused the place and a long banquette lined the back wall.
- You pass through plush red velvet drapes into a lavish room of gorgeous banquettes, bookcases and bare concrete walls.
- There's white leather everywhere: the chairs, the banquettes, and - in a very questionable move - even the tables.
- You can go for American diner-style booths, built-in benches, banquettes or stools.
- Of course, cushy red velvet window-seat banquettes and embroidered footstools don't come cheap.
- Consider incorporating a storage facility within your kitchen seating - banquettes, for example, can lift up to reveal a cavernous space underneath; hinge small sections for ease of access.
- The warm and stylish interior includes bar stools, bistro style tables and maroon leather banquettes to sit at.
- The stylish interior has the feel of a private club: a warm, orange-lit interior with a crackling fireplace, comfy armchairs and banquettes perfect for sipping brandies on and smoking cigars.
- ‘I like this place already,’ said one grizzled old TriBeCa resident as he settled into the restaurant's long faux-leather banquette.
- Mary's Fish Camp is poky in the way the Pearl is, with plain navy-and-gray walls, plywood banquettes, and a curved eating bar covered in tin.
- The dining room, which I am already sizing up beadily, has green upholstered banquettes and a patterned carpet.
- Having designed many elements in the hotel, from the bedside lamps to the banquette sofas, he has now set his sights on a much bigger challenge.
- I really, really loved the food at a local curry restaurant with headache-inducing red banquettes and zebra-striped decor.
- Small recessed ceiling fixtures provide additional illumination around the dining room, along with valance lighting over the wall banquettes.
- Lounge on inviting velvet banquettes, leather easy chairs or oversized ottomans and sip their divine cocktails.
- Guests, high-rollers and girls with millionaire uncles take seats on the wall banquettes and gaze up at the striking Maxfield Parrish mural of Old King Cole that looms over the scene.
- Tall doors open out onto the sidewalk, and diners sit in curvy plastic Knoll chairs or on banquettes upholstered with the same stretchy, Prada-red mesh you find in upmarket running shoes.
- Take one of the large banquettes along the walls and eye up the girls on the dance floor, or gaze from the balcony on boys below doing their breaks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.