In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bar mitzvah masculino
- We have the same thing for various other institutions like a bar mitzvah, which celebrates Jewish adulthood at 13, but for the state it is 18.
- I believe today, when people hear ‘YMCA’ every weekend at a bar mitzvah or a wedding or when people hear ‘Macho Man’ when they're working out at the gym, they smile.
- It was not in Israel, for one, as my bar mitzvah was, at the Wailing Wall in 1968.
- Her father, Bertie Camberg, was Jewish and Muriel happily gave Robin #50 towards his bar mitzvah in 1951.
- As I learned the rituals for the bar mitzvah, my father, a cantor, began to create the service…
- The Jewish bar mitzvah, for example, celebrates a boy's entry into adolescence, and most of tribal Africa holds puberty rituals which may include dance, music, or seclusion.
- In fact, in his case, it happened in full sight of a large crowd on the stage of a synagogue during his bar mitzvah ceremony.
- They're not brothers, they're not Jewish, and they've never even been to a bar mitzvah, but don't hold it against the Bar Mitzvah Brothers.
- When I look at the family portraits that were the inevitable last course at every wedding and bar mitzvah, she sparkled.
- My husband and I recently returned from Israel, where we spent a Shabbat celebrating the bar mitzvah of our cousin.
- Doctors gave him little chance of making it to his bar mitzvah.
- The only connection we have is that your bar mitzvah was the day I was born… but other than that, I don't think it's going to work.
- Boys aren't allowed to wear tefillin until after their bar mitzvah; women can choose to wear them but rarely do.
- My nephew and I will not share the same holidays and he will not have a bar mitzvah for me to attend.
- Incidentally we were totally secular; I never went inside a synagogue until a cousin had a bar mitzvah at thirteen.
- Jesus returns to the temple at an age that corresponds closely to that required for the rite of passage for Jewish boys known as the bar mitzvah.
- Witness the recent flap over the Jewish twelve-year-old, on the verge of his bar mitzvah, who was more or less tricked into a Christian baptism by the local Baptist church.
- A bat mitzvah, the female equivalent of a bar mitzvah, is a Jewish coming of age ceremony for girls aged 12 and over.
- But remember your bar mitzvah speech where you said you wanted to follow in the steps of Jewish thinkers like Moses Maimonides and Karl Marx?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.