In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Rock itself has an uplifting natural beauty, stunning wildlife and those curious, but worldly, star celebrities - the cute, cheeky, tail-less Barbary apes called Macaques.
- For example, you absolutely must take a tour to the Upper Rock to see the famous Barbary apes, which live there in a semi-wild state.
- Chris travels to Gibraltar to encounter the only free-living primates in Europe, Barbary apes, and joins a research boat to go dolphin watching around the bay.
- But his real favorite was Gibraltar, where he mixed with his own kind, the Barbary apes.
- Love them or hate them, you simply have to take a tour to the Upper Rock to see the famous Barbary apes who live in a semi-wild state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.