In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Barbour masculino marca registradabefore noun Barbour jacket — chaqueta Barbour femenino
- Barbour coat — abrigo Barbour
- It's a fascinating place - I wandered past a group of people doing the Jack the Ripper guided walk, led by a flamboyant guy in a long Barbour cape.
- One analyst who met him for the first time on Wednesday said: ‘You can't help but think that he would look more at home wearing a Barbour jacket than a Savile Row suit.
- It being a particularly cold morning, I grabbed my Barbour as I left for work, jammed my phone into the pocket and felt a piece of paper.
- I'm not inclined to argue because the Barbour is just about worn through in some places and has become distinctly dowdy.
- Don't expect too many Barbours and smelly dogs in Scotland on Sunday's new society journal, The Social.
- Hence the same sheepskin jackets, wool coats and Barbours turn up year after year.
- I feel rather protective of him and when I see all those men and boys with guns and matching Barbours I want to keep him as a pet.
- He wears a knee-length Barbour and carries a cute little wicker basket.
- Behind me, 20 yards to my right, is Raymond - with his baseball cap tilted back on his head, looking rather less the part than me in my borrowed Barbour deerstalker.
- Civilians can get stuff changed on their Barbours, too - so if you want an extra pocket for the Labrador chews, now's your chance.
- Seemed a shame to muss it up for a ten minute trip, so I pulled out the Barbour, gave it a shake, and off I went, secure inside my shabby old coat and under my padded fisherman's cap.
- Piers Eyre, 64, wearing a Barbour jacket and carrying an expensive walking cane, cut an unlikely figure as he mixed with veteran peace protesters.
- Rating: 5/10 Items can be costly, but a Barbour jacket is designed to last a lifetime - send it back and they'll even re-wax it.
- The reason is, if a place is this good, it will have been discovered long ago - first by locals, and then by annoying City types who like to sport wellies and Barbours at the weekend.
- A traditional Barbour jacket will not only keep out the rain but will also more than pass muster throughout the season.
- He would have liked his normal holster but with his battered Barbour jacket and pullover it would have been impractical and conspicuous.
- The description of a man in a green Barbour style jacket with dark collar length hair has cropped up a number of times in the investigation into the murder.
- During filming I found Jenny more difficult to watch than John because I could see myself in her and watch her look across the lawn, with the same sort of haircut and wearing a Barbour and jeans.
- Yeah, right, like any of us are going to stand shoulder to shoulder with someone wearing a Barbour and a tweed cap.
- Many more important issues will be sending the protesters to London with their Barbours and picnic hampers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.