In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Few of the Americans running Iraq are as frank about their ‘mission’ to bring freedom to the world as the barrel-chested former New York police chief Bernard Kerik.
- At 60, John McDonnell is barrel-chested with vibrant blue eyes and slicked back white hair, a successful real estate investor who lives by the beach with his second wife.
- The wee, barrel-chested midfielder with the cocky gait is as influential now as he was when he arrived in Glasgow.
- Ackermann - who today is 56 and a barrel-chested six-footer whose flashes of anger are intimidating - was a javelin champion in his youth.
- He was kind of barrel-chested, but the voice was extraordinary.
- He was a winger in his early years but later preferred the fly-half's position: stocky, barrel-chested and quick as a flash, he was a notably inventive player.
- He was a ferocious-looking man - black-bearded, broad-eyed and barrel-chested.
- Short but somewhat barrel-chested, the actor is often called on for oversized characters, and his room-filling energy takes over when he talks about Ayckbourn.
- Currently in a middleweight state, Del Toro delivers a good turn here, as does the barrel-chested James Caan as the millionaire's grizzled bagman.
- He's big, barrel-chested, and, unfortunately, sweaty.
- ‘Spotty’ was white with black spots and barrel-chested.
- Even though Klinck cuts one of those strapping, barrel-chested gym-junkie figures, his voice is like a gentle breeze.
- He was about 6ft 1in, beautifully built and barrel-chested.
- Born to rescue people from burning buildings and save the planet, Mr Incredible is a square-jawed, barrel-chested hero in the Superman mould.
- It has been my ambition ever since watching Burt Lancaster, in his barrel-chested pomp, swim home through the pools of his Californian neighbours after a little chat with each on the way.
- These burly, barrel-chested men aren't quite comfortable within their macho trappings, but act as allegorical tools to explore issues of contemporary masculinity.
- But Bolton boss Sam Allardyce, that great rescuer of lost causes, has given the barrel-chested striker some of his self-respect back.
- A barrel-chested security guard riding shotgun in Khalilzad's car turns to explain: an errant vehicle in Iraq, he says, can easily be a suicide bomber.
- Admirably willing to raise his head above the parapet and defend his corner, the barrel-chested midfielder might even be said to epitomise Martin O'Neill's side.
- Blatherskite O'Loodheramawn, a barrel-chested, white-toothed athlete from Mullingar, welcomed the new loosening of restrictions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.