In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They undergo an enormous Universe-wide phase transformation where all of the quarks and gluons in the Universe become confined together inside mesons such as the pi meson and baryons such as the proton and neutron.
- In particular, we know that the number of baryons (protons and neutrons) exceeds the number of anti-baryons.
- They're usually found in twos (as particles called mesons) and threes (as particles called baryons, such as protons and neutrons).
- The strong force is mediated by the gluon (which comes in eight flavors), which binds quarks together to form baryons and mesons and protons and neutrons together to form nuclei.
- The proton and the neutron are baryons; the electron, the muon, and the neutrino are leptons; whilst the pions are mesons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.