In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculino batefemenino paleta Britanicofemenino raqueta Britanicoto be at bat — ser bateador
- to go to bat for sb — echarle una mano a algn
- to play a straight bat — andarse con pies de plomo
- Our bowlers were doing the job but we were failing with the bat and we didn't stick to our plan and didn't have wickets in the end.
- Today it was the turn of Cathryn Fitzpatrick to wreak havoc with the bat.
- For those of you who are trying to figure out what cricket is, it is a sport like baseball with bats, balls & players but the rules and ways are somewhat different.
- To have three or four men around the bat at all times will be an ideal situation with two spinners bowling.
- He's one of the fastest players in baseball, and he handles the bat well for a young hitter.
- He tried to play again in September but couldn't swing a bat or catch a ball.
- I can almost feel the adrenaline rising inside of me as I held a dodge ball or a baseball bat in my hand.
- I can feel the tingle in my joints as the first batter swings three baseball bats as he approaches the plate before throwing the two bad ones away.
- Not every child gets a cricket bat, rugby ball, pair of football boots or spikes as a Christmas or birthday present.
- One day in grade 5, Paul brought a baseball bat and ball along to school.
- Depending on the type of game, we used wood or plastic bats.
- He fields his position well and can handle the bat, not only bunting but putting the ball in play to help move runners.
- But we didn't start well with the bat, and there wasn't enough hardness in the middle order.
- Ironically, in our innings we only called upon three of our bats.
- He's one of the greatest sportsmen that ever picked up a mallet or a cricket bat.
- Streaks and slumps are as common to baseball as bats and gloves.
- There is no evidence of an ancestor of Billiards prior to this time, unless you do lower your criteria to count all the other games played with bats, balls and skittles.
- The depth of quality is there with the bat and it is there with the ball, but too many are on the bench.
- The first was left and the second caused a defensive prod in the middle of the bat, bringing loud applause from the crowd.
- He says the cold weather also helps because it makes him concentrate on hitting the ball on the sweet spot of the bat.
- He will also play an important role down the order with the bat.
- The way we started with the bat was outstanding here and we've done everything to ensure a win.
- You hit for average, you hit for power, you had the quickest bat in the game.
- Well, it turns out nobody officially tests balls hit by aluminum bats under game conditions.
- In spring play Joyner showed good bat control and played solid defense.
- Crosby handles the bat well, is an above-average defensive player and is a candidate for A.L. Rookie of the Year.
- He generates the best bat speed in the game and hits balls harder than any other batter.
- Okay, I just found out that baseball and cricket bats can be aluminium, but you get my point.
- Umpires can remove a bat from the game if a bat has exceeded the pine tar limitation.
- Agarkar had a disappointing match as a bowler but did reasonably well with the bat in the second innings.
1batearto bat for sb — batear en reemplazo de algn
1(hit)(ball/balloon) golpear(ball/balloon) darle a
- She was pouncing on it, and batting it around, much to the enjoyment of her owner.
- If he attempts to steal and is thrown out, however, this decreases not only his own chance of scoring but that of every player who will bat in the inning.
- Also, whenever we'd crack ice cubes, we'd toss one on the linoleum floor and he'd bat it around and he'd play hockey with it.
- An inflatable sphere the crowd can bat around for fun.
- In test cricket, where there are no limits on how long a player may bat, double centuries are considered a major achievement, but they are not all that uncommon.
- There was a chart in the October issue showing players who batted below .300 while compiling at least 200 hits in a season.
- In a series of pictures captured on the periscope's camera, the bear apparently chewed on the rudder, then batted it around.
- She complained, batting her hands around her face wildly, ‘I'm like, getting all dirty.’
- Yesterday, they batted like a team without ambition.
- Laurie put the small box down on a flat rock and teasingly batted Gil's hand away as he knelt down and tried to reach inside for a sandwich.
- Both batsmen timing the ball with precision, batted with charm and aggression.
- Mulder was on the sink, watching intently as John Brown batted around what my bleary eyes assumed was a bottlecap or tuft of hair.
- The team that's batting always has two batters on the field at one time. The team in the field always has at least two pitchers, or bowlers.
- Because he bats leadoff, the team needs Offerman to rebound at the plate.
- At present everyone seems to have stronger bowling teams than batting, so they are putting all the batsmen under pressure.
- In his innings Smith faced 287 balls and batted 335 minutes.
- They both looked into each other's eyes for long moments before Brian started batting the hanging toys around in front of Destiny and she soon joined in.
- If the players batting behind Sheffield really get going, the opposition will have to challenge him.
- Frankly, the team batted worse than it did in the first innings at Lahore.
- He picked up a sack and a tackle behind the line of scrimmage and batted down a ball at the line.
- Ellis could wind up playing a major role in the offense batting leadoff.
- I knew I had to move when I got home from work and found my cat batting around a water bug the size of a hockey puck.
- I pushed through them like I was running through some forest batting the tree limbs out of the way.
- You have to learn to time your jump to bat down the ball.
- Cresting the top of the hill where Cote d' Abraham ran into the fence, a crowd of several hundred people danced, chanted, drummed, batted a beach ball around, and tossed the occasional tear gas canister back to the cops.
- She was beckoning to me, looking around anxiously, and I was batting people out of the way, but as I approached I saw her look up at someone beside her.
- In each inning both teams bat, until three of the batters are declared out by either three strikes delivered by the pitcher, or a catch by a fielder.
- He bats them around, knocks them to the floor, and usually leaves them alone.
- ‘She finds things to play with, little twigs and stuff, and she bats them around,’ says Larson.
- The players need to bat longer innings and bowl accurately with line and direction, to make a good impression in the tournament.
- The Indian team batted perfectly, bowled like champions and fielded like tigers.
- She reached out to touch it, but I batted her fingers away.
- Each member of each of the two teams gets to bat twice, and when it is all over, the side with the most runs is the winner.
- We almost got out of the inning on our own, but mercifully, the other team had batted through the lineup, which meant it was our turn to bat.
- Torafu tackled it playfully, batting it around.
- You have to consider the weather and, if you are batting last, teams might only set us targets of 150.
- He could bat reasonably well at seven but would be a tremendous addition to a team in batting at eight or nine.
- Reaching for the cup with bruised and burned hands, Rebekah touched the smooth, cold metal before the nurse batted her fingers away.
- Normally the bowlers will bowl, the batsmen will bat and everyone will field.
- She turned around, her arm sliding across the surface, but to her dismay, she had accidentally batted a cracked clay pot from the closed covers.
2(average in baseball)tener un promedio de
2coloquial(hag)old bat — vieja femenino
- Ok, now that I've put that side of her character in perspective, you must be wondering why I like the old bat?
- She's a lot nicer than some of the old bats in here.
- After all, the old bat has only been told to rest by her doctors and give up public speaking tours.
- But then the old bat did go on a bit - 30 minutes of complaining after the effect when last night she could have just asked us to quiet down and then have had no cause for complaint.
- So how's about you head over there right this very second and wish the old bat a happy birthday, hmmm?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.