In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There were bathers in the pool and the life guards cleared the pool.
- As waves continued to crash loudly against what was left of the shoreline, lifeguards were busy advising bathers not to go into the water.
- Last year, several bathers suffered severe and painful stings while swimming among the jellyfish in the Mersey estuary.
- A small but well planned bathroom includes a bath which has been strategically positioned to allow the bather to bask in the stunning views of Kinsale harbour.
- A main function of the person appointed to the new job will be to keep swimmers and bathers from entering the water.
- The generous showerhead reaches far into the cubicle and, with 410 mm projection, water falls centrally over the bather.
- But swimming teachers in Bolton are urging bathers not to try it themselves because it could be dangerous.
- ‘The weather has been good these past few weeks and I hope bathers will take full advantage of the sun and highquality water conditions as we reach the peak of the summer season,’ he said.
- According to the council this session is based on giving exclusive pool time to older bathers who want to enjoy lane swimming.
- People caught driving jet skis and speed boats in a manner that endangers bathers and other water users in Tramore Bay will face a hefty fine of up to €1200 under new by-laws that come into effect next month.
- This elegant wine should see warmth restored to even the coldest bather.
- Many visiting tourists to Goa enjoy fishing from the beach, but unless you visit the quieter areas you will almost certainly be frustrated by the number of bathers!
- Lifeguards at Maracas and Las Cuevas beaches were all on duty keeping bathers away, even as the rough waters pounded against their towers.
- True, they had no shower gel at the time and the heat treatments softened the grit and grim for removal while the cold waters revived the weary bather.
- A bather reclines on a couch, enjoying a massage, while a fountain splashes nearby.
- Perhaps the most famous brines in the world are those found in the Dead Sea in Israel, an inland lake which is so salty that bathers float in its waters.
- The Marine Conservation Society said bathers were put at risk because beaches with normally excellent water quality could be temporarily affected.
- Fallen tree trunks toss about the stream, presenting mortal dangers to swimmers and bathers.
- The last thing about the sound-proof door is that it eliminates comments from the family on the operatic talents of the bather.
- He urged bathers to use beaches patrolled by life guards.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.