In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- How much do you know about the South: the forests of the southern Appalachians, the swamps and bayous, the barrier islands, keys, and coral reefs?
- Rustic, self-sufficient country dwellers, Cajuns lived along the bayous and swamps of Louisiana for more than 200 years.
- Altogether, including its associated maze of bayous and cypress swamps, the lake covers fifty square miles.
- Although some Cajuns stayed on the rivers and bayous or in the swamps, many others headed west to the prairies where they settled not in lines but in small, dispersed coves.
- But the terrain is difficult, threaded with bayous and creeks, frequently flooded, and overridden with dense foliage and impenetrable undergrowth.
- The bayous and marshland of southern Louisiana host one of the largest agglomerations of industry in North America.
- Alabama's Gulf Coast extends over 32 miles of beaches along the Gulf of Mexico and inland areas of live oaks and pines, freshwater lakes, rivers, bayous, and coves, all showing an abundance of birds.
- Conversely, the back lakes, sloughs and bayous are reasonably protected, almost certain to hold pockets of calm, clear water.
- Louisiana is known for its bayous and marshlands.
- All water in Texas rivers, streams, bayous, reservoirs and other waterways is considered public water and available for legal use by anyone.
- Redfish, especially, stay in the marshes and bayous all year.
- In bayous and in cool rainforests, large lichens known as ‘old man's beard’ may often be seen hanging from the branches of trees.
- Northward, they prefer clear, weedy, glacial lakes - southward, they prefer weedy bayous.
- But you will most likely find the exclusions section of your policy doesn't cover losses resulting from surface water, overflowing streams or bayous, waves, tidal water and the like.
- The gates would also make it possible to restore freshwater flows to bayous that have been cut off from the main river.
- Settling among the isolated bayous of southern Louisiana, Acadians would become Cajuns.
- Virtually all of his submissions were taken from the bayou country in southern Louisiana in foothold traps by fur trappers.
- The rediscovery has galvanized efforts to save the Big Woods of Arkansas, 550,000 acres of bayous, bottomland forests and oxbow lakes.
- Creeks, sloughs, bayous, and swamps, including a large cypress swamp at the base of Crowley's Ridge, ran around the town.
- The water in those waterways - whether a stream, river, bayou, or even a lake or reservoir built astride a navigable waterway - belongs to the State of Texas and is held in trust for the public.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.