In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For that, the steady hand of the bean counter is required and not the vision of the prospector manager.
- But the mild-mannered former bean counter who succeeded extrovert entrepreneur Jimmy Lai at the helm of Giordano in 1994 wasn't talking about profit slumps, redundancies or store closures.
- Enter the bean counter as Southwest's costs grow
- However, for the chief financial officer - a key post in any organization - the role of corporate bean counter is only part of the job.
- It's no accident that the cheerfully cluttered workshop is three miles across town from the suits and bean counters at Williams-Sonoma's corporate headquarters.
- Professor Roland Kaye, CIMA's president, delivered a pre-dinner speech in which he tried to give friendly advice about how to distinguish between management accountants and other bean counter types.
- They are temples to the French way of food which must surely never be allowed to come under the control of bean counters and marketing men.
- Maybe it's because he was a bean counter before he ventured into the world of custom knifemaking as a diversion to his somewhat formal career.
- As a small business owner, you are not only the head honcho, but also the bean counter, chief salesman, IT boffin, tax specialist and marketing guru too.
- No, that decision had been made long ago by a faceless bean counter who had calculated he was now a risk.
- The bean counters know that marketing matters.
- The move from corporate bean counter to real estate mogul has been a profitable one.
- The long-time private CEO for the Kerry Stokes empire is himself a quiet, effective, tough Scottish bean counter.
- Now the stereotype has morphed from the boring little bean counter to the mad, incompetent and corrupt fool placing the financial security of millions at risk.
- Before his media-management career, Johnson was a trained bean counter at KPMG Peat Marwick - the perfect stereotype of the new breed of newspaper bosses.
- Somebody with a bean counter's soul has probably tabulated the waterfalls, as well.
- The totals, if scrutinized, could possibly make the most seasoned bean counter blush.
- A bean counter will say you should respond by cutting in other places, which usually means shifting the burden onto other people, especially your employees.
- Working in political theatre is even tougher, particularly if you start off as a student with a massive overdraft to clear and the wages of a bean counter.
- Instead of requiring companies to record what their pension investments actually earn each year, accounting rules allow bean counters to assume a constant annual return.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.