In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tofu masculinoqueso de soya masculino América Latinaqueso de soja masculino España
- First to arrive is the Spicy Peppercorn Tofu, an enormous vat of cubed bean curd served stew-style with thin-sliced pork, green pepper, peas, and mushroom that could probably feed four people all on its own.
- The woman, who had assumed that I wouldn't understand her, looked as though she had found a fly in her bean curd.
- There are two reasons to press tofu: to remove water and to compact the bean curd.
- This bean curd dish, poetically named ‘Spring shines on the Su Bank’ is invariably flavoured with tea at Tian Tian Wang.
- Legumes, pulses, bean curd (soya paneer), rice, cereals and potatoes contribute to vegetarians' low body fat.
- Tofu - or bean curd - long a staple in the Asian diet, has become mainstream in the West.
- But the slender bean curd can so easily be boiled into a pulp and spoiled.
- We laugh at exercise fanatics and throw incredulous glances in the direction of those who opt for bean curd over black pudding.
- But fresh bean curd, or tofu, is not included as it is white and unlucky for New Year, as the color signifies death and misfortune.
- This simple dish can be enhanced with a little shrimp paste and a few small prawns, or with roast duck and fermented bean curd.
- From beef to bean curd, from tofu to toadstools and anything in-between.
- Stewed shark's fin in supreme soup, boiled bean curd with shrimps and sauteed sliced of eel in chilli sauce are a few examples of the popular local cuisine.
- Ming's home special bean curd consisted of soft squares of tofu.
- May whoever invented the white cardboard carry-out container spend eternity waist-deep in bean curd.
- Top the mushrooms with a few cilantro leaves and fold the long sides of the bean curd sheet over to enclose the filling.
- Braised bean curd soup with chicken, ham, beans and crab roe is offered before the hot dishes.
- It is made of bread, pine nuts and strong-smelling preserved tofu, or bean curd.
- I eventually settled for a bean curd skin and soba soup at a little Japanese place, which was ok except for the fact that I had meant to ask for Udon.
- Fried bean curd tastes better when you're away from home.
- The vegi sushi featured rice and seaweed topped with asparagus, cucumber, soya bean curd and omelette.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.