In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to make strange bedfellows — hacer una extraña pareja
- the crisis has brought together some strange bedfellows — la crisis ha creado peculiares alianzas / extraños compañeros de alcoba
- Britten and Mozart? unlikely bedfellows for a concert series! — ¿Britten y Mozart? ¡qué extraña combinación para una serie de conciertos!
- Good storytelling and allegory make uncomfortable bedfellows.
- But at the last minute, I went with my own thoughts and voted no, in spite of joining such strange bedfellows by so doing.
- Music and cartoons might seem like strange bedfellows to most.
- Chaos and desperation became familiar bedfellows.
- Politics sometimes really does make for strange bedfellows.
- Campaigns like this can attract some strange bedfellows.
- Plus, world politics makes for strange bedfellows.
- Heritage and recent history are strange bedfellows in today's political establishment.
- Do tourism and religion make strange bedfellows?
- History takes strange turns and politics makes strange bedfellows.
- Politics and network television programming make strange bedfellows.
- Let me live in my dream world where strange bedfellows become welcome friends.
- Lenders will soon have a bedfellow to share their disturbing secrets.
- History and Hollywood have always been uneasy bedfellows.
- Industry and the environment are often seen as strange bedfellows.
- Art and war may seem strange bedfellows, but often the needs of the one are answered by the other.
- Music and performance art can be awkward bedfellows.
- In this context, politics created strange bedfellows.
- In general, violence and romance are uneasy bedfellows.
- But there are important ways in which liberty and equality are natural bedfellows.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.