In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lecho de roca masculinoroca firme femeninothe bedrock of his theory — los cimientos / la base de su teoría
- We need cool heads, warm hearts and our bedrock values of fairness and equality to choose the right path.
- Physics gave him a solid foundation, the bedrock for all his beliefs about the universe.
- Give them a clear standard that is in accordance with the bedrock principles of our nation.
- Surely patient confidentiality is one of the bedrocks on which good medical practice is based.
- These terms were to remain as the bedrock of his artistic principles even though his manner and procedures of painting were to change quite radically.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.