In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1remolacha femeninobetabel masculino Méxicobetarraga femenino Chileas red as a beetroot — rojo / colorado como la grana
- Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.
- Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.
- It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.
- When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.
- On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.
- The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.
- The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.
- I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.
- We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.
- Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.
- The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.
- And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.
- Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.
- We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.
- Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.
- Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.