In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sucederle aocurrirle a
- In November 1913 a fatal tragedy befell the family - after a quarrel Lora committed suicide.
- But bad luck befell the team, resulting in a year-long winless streak.
- Despite the disgrace and humiliation which eventually befell him, he never wavered from his beliefs.
- We're sorry these warnings were too late to prevent the tragedy that befell your family.
- Summoning emergency help should an injury befall a walker would have been almost impossible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.