In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hacerse amigo deshe was befriended by an older girl — una chica mayor se hizo amiga de ella
- they were befriended by a stray dog — se les pegó un perro callejero
- When she first met Blake she'd pitied him because he only had a few friends, so she had befriended him.
- But gradually, he makes his way in a small Southern town where he gets a job as a mechanic, and befriends a young boy who is also an outsider.
- She befriended him and offered support after reading about the 1995 case in the news.
- There, he befriends a deaf girl (Jack knows sign language!) and her hockey-playing brother.
- Barrie makes it his mission to support the family and to befriend Peter.
- On the other side I befriended this guy at work when I was only 16, he was 18 and was a Catholic.
- So he visits and befriends the traumatised boy.
- When a girl from the Bronx moves in next door and befriends her, Mooney's outlook changes.
- He befriends Mary, and tells her how he found the precious papers.
- Daniel befriended a girl on the way who had friends that would let him stay in their apartment.
- Torn between turning Henry in and befriending him, Carol chooses the latter - and tries to convince Henry to do ‘a job’ with her.
- Robin stars as a disabled janitor who befriends a young boy.
- Then she befriends her family's prisoner, and he shows her that a kite can fly.
- On New Year's Eve he meets their mother at a dinner party and subsequently befriends the family.
- Stuck in the jungle, our hero befriends a peasant named Pacha and together they attempt to return to the palace in order to restore his human form.
- But things change when a woman beggar comes to the area and befriends him.
- I was really the first one to befriend her, and protected her from the other pirates.
- He befriends this young boy, who hopes to remain friends following their hospital stay.
- On a mission to win Mrs. Creswell over for Raymond, Archie befriends the elderly woman and the two become close pals.
- While a supervision order is in force it is the duty of the supervisor to advise, assist and befriend a supervised child.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.