In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There are crème brûlées and little apple beignets for dessert, but the most emblematic dish of all is the rice pudding.
- There are a variety of sorbets in flavours like litchi, mango, coconut and lemon, as well as an lineup of deep-fried pineapple, apple or banana beignets.
- To start, I had cured Glenarm salmon with Avruga caviar, served with dill and chive cream and an oyster beignet.
- Melissa, my dedicated Survivor contestant, made two separate batches: due to a successful whining campaign by yours truly, in addition to caramelized-apple beignets, she whipped up a batch of chocolate-filled beignets just for me!
- During our two night stay we savoured such delights as a salad of roast duck foie gras, steamed native sea bass with crushed Jersey Royals, and roast cannon of Galloway lamb with tomato couscous and haggis beignet.
- As with the terrine, there was certainly a good-sized portion, but the beignets were a little short on garlic and a touch too dry for my taste.
- Of late, chef Jorgensen has been pairing ice-cold vodka Martinis with caviar, pickled quail eggs, goat cheese pizza, Gorgonzola cheese beignets and tartars.
- And you can't fool me: Apple beignets are great doughnuts without the hole.
- It was getting on toward noon and the place was packed so I leaned against the wall near where the beignets are made watching the cook.
- It's worth a trip to Hollywood just to eat it; or to sample the molten, skillfully fried finger-banana dessert fritters billed on the menu as ‘banana beignets.’
- Walked off the crawfish beignets and bread pudding while admiring the Greek Revival and Italian architecture on the Garden District Walking Tour.
- For the ricotta beignets: Preheat the fryer to 375 degrees.
- A roasted pear stuffed with blue cheese and splashed with a port-wine-laced vinaigrette produces an enticingly light beignet.
- Cut beignet into quarters and arrange on plates.
- As I read it, I can almost smell the beignets frying and feel the sun on my skin.
- Banana beignets are a neat surprise. The hot apple crisp and the cookies are satisfying.
- But where does this leave Louisiana's favorite French-fried fritter, the beignet?
- Next to the mango skewers, arrange two beignets, cutting one in half.
- All our dishes were served with a side of white rice and a very tasty deep-fried cauliflower beignet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.