In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So the sanctions, belated and porous though they were, did have some limited effect.
- After today's game Duff plans to enjoy a belated birthday meal back in Aberdeen with his parents and girlfriend.
- There may be belated Christmas refreshments after the meeting and to welcome in the New Year.
- I'm debating whether that should count as a belated Friday entry or an early Tuesday one.
- The couple intend to take a belated honeymoon in South America before the fleet sets off on its next leg around Cape Horn.
- The move is long overdue and it's mostly belated good news for shareholders.
- She is married to Anthony and her children, family and friends, wish her a belated happy birthday.
- Though belated, the announcement went down well with the workers both permanent and temporary.
- Wishing you and your family a belated Christmas and an early Happy New Year
- In our case, not only were the condolences belated, but we also failed to offer concrete support.
- The city administration has made a belated response to the problem of urbanization.
- Santa Claus even made a belated arrival in the street together with sleigh to entertain the children and give out presents.
- That went on most of the evening, although we broke for dinner and for more belated presents as the weather got steadily worse.
- Kris and I went over to my parents' house last night for a belated birthday party for my sister.
- It was a belated birthday present from her family after Alice turned 100 in July.
- A belated thank you for paying for this year's school fireworks display.
- If you missed out on Valentine's Day, surprise a loved one with a belated trip to the most romantic capital of Europe.
- Also a belated 81st birthday is extended to Maggie McGee from her family and friends.
- It's a grey, cold day here in Amsterdam and I have to go and raid the fridge to find something for our belated Saturday brunch.
- Of course, apologies followed, and at five to three the belated ceremony was commenced to the relief of all concerned.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.