In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1belleza femeninobeldad femeninothe belle of the ball — la reina de la fiesta
- a Southern belle — una belleza sureña
- Certainly not more beautiful than most of the southern belles that could be found in South Carolina, she was still passable, with blonde hair and dark green eyes.
- In a tribute to these stunning stars, I have chosen to profile some of the most beautiful Hollywood belles of all time.
- Businessmen adjusted their ties, women applied makeup, and young belles toyed with their locks.
- I am so excited because I'm talking to one of the great southern belles from Georgia.
- Her fledgling company conjures up headpieces known as ‘fascinators’ - a cross between a hat and a hair accessory - which are proving a hit with mothers of the bride and wedding belles on both sides of the Atlantic.
- As I sat and watched in quiet awe, she continued to move with the grace of a southern belle.
- You don't want to be the only belle at the ball dressed like Cinderella.
- Was it still the time of those opulent balls and of southern belles like Scarlett flirting with everyone?
- You could doll her up - and Hollywood did - all you wanted, and she'd be the prettiest belle at the ball.
- Saratoga may have been filled with beautiful belles, he acknowledges - but his own eldest daughter was ‘the loveliest of them all.’
- Look at Teri for example, beautiful in her prime but now, no longer a belle.
- The terrible twosome came unstuck after subjecting an innocent group of southern belles to a tirade of verbal abuse in the town centre.
- Sumptuous buildings rise up from the wooded hillsides, the four-storey mansions are festooned with shapely balconies and are as curvaceous as an Edwardian belle.
- She goes from being a Southern belle, who's never been able to do anything practical, to someone who learns to survive under the most terrible circumstances of war and deprivation.
- The southern belle is forced to leave her home town in Mississippi following the loss of her family estate to creditors.
- Twelve seaside belles are risking blushes to raise vital cash for two good causes.
- As a girl, she did everything she was supposed to do: she was a Southern belle who married a dapper genius once he became rich enough to keep her.
- Wedding belles: Wedding dresses and summer blossom were the order of the day in the village this week as some people have two weddings to attend in one weekend.
- I heard that the Captain had two southern belles for daughters, but what they did not tell me was that they would be witty as well.
- There was also a southern belle there with what I presumed was her mother.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.