In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I just hope that it results in security checks on people's belongings being tightened up.
- Their belongings were packed into plastic bags and the family was driven to Dublin by car.
- I had a need to go fetch his last belongings and bring them home to my house to wash them.
- I lost things, had things stolen, had people rummage through my belongings, my drawers.
- Officers raided his room at the college that day to search his personal belongings and took five letters away.
- We had boxed up all our personal belongings to make room in our second bedroom for our new baby daughter.
- Police or security guards can inspect the personal belongings of people as they enter the premises.
- The sprinters claim they were unaware of the tests and had returned home for personal belongings.
- Their coats, wallets, mobile phones and other personal belongings were stolen.
- Homeless people were then asked to pay fifty dollars for the return of their belongings.
- They add that nobody should leave personal belongings and money lying around a house.
- I've completely downsized all my belongings, and can pack all of my clothes into one suitcase.
- I noticed that his belongings formed a round bulge in the bottom of a plastic carrier bag.
- She walked into the room to find a man searching through her belongings.
- Then we were instructed to leave our belongings behind and return to the departure gate.
- The burglars also stole many personal belongings that Cilla will never be able to replace.
- The whole family had to move upstairs after their belongings had been made safe.
- Manny took some personal belongings from Mrs Schendel, but ignored many more valuable items.
- None of his belongings had been interfered with and no possessions had been stolen.
- Once there, I laid my belongings out to dry and made plans to visit a local quarry.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.