In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carretera de circunvalación femeninoronda de circunvalación femeninoperiférico masculino México América Central
- By her second lap around the interstate beltway the hum of the engine from Jennifer's MG roadster began to drown out her anger and frustration.
- Urban activists blocked the completion of many inner-city interstate highways, just as the economic center of American metropolises was shifting from downtown to the beltway.
- Recent office development has been concentrated around the suburban beltway of Interstate 270, especially in the Northwest and Northeast quadrants.
- You can see cities and towns in San Francisco's Bay Area gobble up undeveloped land and merge, or you can watch Washington, D.C., spread far beyond the beltway and fuse with Baltimore.
- Investigators recently opened an investigation of the former head of the company, the man who was in charge of the six beltways and other roads built to unchoke traffic in the capital.
- Michael sped along a highway to a connection with the beltway.
- And - and I lived in D.C., working for the Weather Service, long enough to know it only takes an inch or two and that just wrecks the beltway.
- By twelve-thirty he was blasting south on the beltway, music roaring in his ears, his mind adrift on the matter of Paula.
- We circled the city as I missed a series of turnoffs from the beltway.
- Thousands of Salvadorans blocked highways, bridges and borders on October 12, 2002, to protest the planned construction of a huge beltway superhighway around the capital.
- Simultaneously, a four-lane Churchill-Roosevelt extension from Waller Field to Sangre Grande is happily endorsed, with attention given to a beltway allowing traffic to bypass the town.
- We drove from outside the beltway, into downtown D.C. We found parking.
- However, some question the city's diligence in improving youth sports park standards within the beltway, especially when potential park facilities often are targeted by developers.
- In another carryover issue specific to Northeast Florida, the chamber ‘recognizes Clay County's critical need for an outer beltway.’
- The two work here in this remote corner of Virginia just off the beltway.
- Harry accelerated past a battered VW on the beltway.
- Traffic around the Washington beltway was bad as usual, but nothing like it would be a few hours later.
- Elkridge, just south of the Baltimore beltway, near the airport, is a new venue for the symposium.
- They also located individual subway and railroad stations and identified the entrance and exit ramps on the Moscow Ring Road, the automobile beltway that encircled the city.
- Many-tentacled Gothams like Los Angeles and Washington stretch endlessly, crosshatched with a myriad of concrete overpasses, transit beltways and suburban shopping metroplexes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.