In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was determined to be one of the vitamins that prevented beriberi, a deficiency disease marked by inflammatory or degenerative changes of the nerves, digestive system and heart.
- The troops suffered from malaria, dengue fever, beriberi, hookworm and pellagra.
- Diseases such as beriberi and malaria have become more common as problems with sanitation have increased.
- His body was ridden with disease - beriberi, dysentery and scurvy - and his doctor's prognosis was grim.
- When they examined the explorers' journals, they found recorded a classic progression of the symptoms of thiamine deficiency, or the disease known as beriberi.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.