In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A good natural fungicide can be made from whole milk, bicarb soda and canola oil.
- ‘Only a week ago,’ writes a Mr Smith, ‘I had great success using it on freshly spilt coffee on a carpet; sprinkling on some bicarb and vacuuming off solved the problem in minutes.’
- I use either eco-friendly household cleaning products or items I have in my kitchen cupboards such as vinegar, lemons, bicarb, olive oil and salt.
- Perhaps until recently certain areas had little access to mass produced yeast, which tends to require special storage, but had access to bicarb, which is more robust.
- If a recipe calls for plain flour and bicarb soda - then other ingredients in it are acid enough and adding SR flour will alter the proportions (buttermilk, honey, golden syrup, sour cream, yoghurt)
- We're out of ammonia and have had to move on to bicarb to wash up, which requires greater skill.
- In the kitchen, we arrange the empty beer bottle, some bicarb, and some citric acid.
- On this occasion, despite two hours’ cooking (with bicarb, salt added at the end), the chickpeas had remained stubbornly crunchy.
- Gently add the flour, to which you have added the bicarb, alternately spoon by spoon, with the boiling water until you have a smooth and fairly liquid batter.
- In another bowls combine 1 cup sour buttermilk, 1 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Pip uses bicarb soda mixed with dishwashing detergent for pots in the kitchen.
- In a bowl combine 2 cups plain flour, 1 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, a teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Similarly, bicarb is actually good for scrubbing the bath…
- After about a week, the odor is gone and it doesn't seem to be necessary to keep using the bicarb.
- Soda water is essentially water with some added bicarb of soda and perhaps salt.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.