In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Deporteliga mayor femenino
- I've had some very special moments, but I'd probably say it was my first day in the big leagues.
- Even when he was in college, Bret thought he was better than second basemen in the big leagues.
- Twenty men have won 300 games in the big leagues and every single one of them is in the Hall of Fame.
- Mazeroski and Clemente played for the Pirates for 17 years together, and neither of them ever appeared in a big league game for another team.
- His professional career lasted nine years, but only five in the big leagues.
- Playing with this team and being in the big leagues has been a lot of fun.
- We have a lot of young kids who haven't spent much time in professional baseball, least of all the big leagues.
- Radatz never started a game in the big leagues but, man, was he a Monster in relief.
- This marks the first time Percival has changed teams in the big leagues.
- Glaus was in the big leagues by the end of his first full pro season.
- He hit 66 home runs for Lincoln in the Western League in 1956 on his way to the big leagues.
- I actually had a cousin who was a big league baseball player.
- He killed me in the minor leagues and he's killed me in the big leagues.
- Probably the last three or four years playing in the big leagues, doing what you love and being paid to do it.
- Jack McKeon of the Marlins is another current major league manager who never played in the big leagues.
- I made an error in the outfield, but also made my first hit in the big leagues.
- Andres Galarraga was on target to club 20 homers for his fourth big league team in 2001.
- Called up to the big leagues at the age of 19 in 1998, he was a nagging disappointment.
- You see a lot of guys going from shortstop to second base in the big leagues, but you never really see the opposite.
- I was married with a couple of kids at the time, but I vowed to give it everything I had to make it to the big leagues.
2(top rank)los grandes
- For Sameer Dharmadhikari this movie could be the ticket to big league.
- We've met in Baton Rouge, 73 miles from New Orleans, where Morrissey is shooting The Reaping, a film that marks his ascent to the big league - big money, big noise, big fame
- My chance to really hit the big league and gain mainstream popularity.
- The two big commercial successes of 2004 never figured in the big league of winners.
- Any country that possesses the bomb is automatically admitted to the big league.
- And yet, though he lacks the distinctive signature that might put him in the big league, he is an irresistible romancer.
- Even signing on to Tomb Raider doesn't seem to have been part of any grand plan to catapult himself into the big league.
- Aspirants to the big league may note that attractive golf gear costs at least Rs 15,000.
- When we come back, Tim Russert on his new book, the influence of his father and his transition from politics to big league journalism.
- Two successive hits and they have made it to the big league of scriptwriters in the Malayalam film industry.
- At the same time, both the Scottish Executive and the economic culture of this country should encourage small Scottish firms to grow into the big league.
- Step up to the big league in web marketing.
1(player/baseball) de las ligas mayores
2(business/politician) de alto(s) vuelo(s)(crook) de marca mayor coloquial
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.