In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ciencia de los grandes proyectos femenino
- Medical physicist Prof Jones, 63, said: ‘This is really big science and it requires a whole institute set up especially to do it.’
- In terms of ideas, it is the biggest of big science.
- Earth science is mostly small-scale and dispersed, whereas big science and medicine have bigger, more cash-rich installations with more money to devote to telling the world how worthwhile they are.
- Mullis recommends the ‘Public Choice’ ideas of James Buchanan, 1986 Nobel prizewinning economist, to anyone trying to find out how publicly funded big science actually works.
- The split between small and big science is inevitably a source of tension.
- It is just one example of the modern marriage between big science and the big screen.
- PAUL VANOUSE has been working in emerging technological media since 1990, critically exploring the intersections of big science and popular culture.
- And pure academic research and big science attract an even different personality type.
- Thus the search for these waves, which started as small science in one professor's laboratory, ends up as a paradigmatic example of big science.
- In a way, Lavoisier's science was the big science of his day.
- It's not about big business or big science being evil.
- Dreams of big science are still being dreamed, and they are all based on the earliest dream of them all, the voyage of HMS Challenger between 1872 and 1876.
- In effect, the New England Journal of Medicine had to grapple with the current economic realities of big science.
- That's because it's big science, and thus big politics are involved to make it happen.
- If we're going to spend a trillion dollars on big science - something I could easily be persuaded to support - there are loads of better places for it than this.
- Their suggested schemes were judged not good enough to be viable, especially in an era when federal budget woes were putting the brakes on other big science projects.
- The world, in general, is a little bit skeptical of big science.
- But big science is not driven exclusively by problems requiring large, expensive instruments.
- Well, up next, CBS anchor Dan Rather stirs up a fuss when he seems to admit that TV can't compete with print on some of the big science stories.
- He has concluded that big science, well funded in Western culture, has become like the medieval church that most scientists despise.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.