In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- How about they introduce a bigoted, racist old muppet, with bad hair and a temper problem?
- It's a difficult criticism to voice, too, because it immediately sounds bigoted or racist.
- In walks your relocation consultant with a clip file, revealing an intolerant, homophobic, bigoted county commission.
- He was never racist or bigoted irrespective of colour, culture, religion or social standing.
- He was not a harmless old drunk, but a bigoted, racist reactionary who made a fortune from the oil industry.
- But sometimes people's beliefs are relevant and it's not prejudiced or bigoted to remember this.
- It would be wrong, though, to portray Winning as simply a bigoted reactionary.
- ‘So many of the mariners of his day were extremely bigoted and prejudiced,’ he says.
- Anyone who disagrees with this philosophy is bigoted, biased, sexist, and/or closed-minded.
- If only they could show the same resolve when it comes to preventing the anti-social behaviour of sectarian marches and bigoted football fans singing.
- After long enough, you just roll over and accept the fact that you're a sexist, bigoted, insensitive, crude, cretin.
- You're not supposed to show yourself to be at all prejudiced or bigoted.
- When bigoted, sexist cop Matt Dillon rescues Thandie Newton from that blazing car, he primly pulls down her skirt as he yanks her out.
- In her opinion, he was arrogant and bigoted and she could not stand him.
- He attacks him as racist and bigoted; not a trace of evidence in the public record supports these charges.
- But sometimes people's beliefs are sometimes relevant, and it's not prejudiced or bigoted to remember this.
- All who protest at such matters are labelled ‘homophobic’ and mocked as narrow-minded, bigoted and censorious.
- Growing up gay in an environment where people were homophobic and bigoted actually got me to where I am, and I recognize that I am really great.
- This is neither bigoted or sectarian, it is simply a fact.
- Nowadays it is often argued that freedom of speech does not extend to the right to be offensive, bigoted or racist.
- The truth is they represent the interests of a bigoted, rich and reactionary rabble.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.