In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is not known how long it takes them to biodegrade but it could take hundreds of years.
- How long does it take a disposable plastic pad to biodegrade?
- But once the container hits the backyard compost pile or municipal landfill, it biodegrades in only a few weeks.
- These items can cause pollution and take hundreds of years to biodegrade.
- Should the product end up in a landfill, it will biodegrade.
- The plastic in the seats and dashboards never biodegrades.
- These ones have some sort of a plastic film that probably won't biodegrade for 10,000 years.
- Made from non-renewable oil resources, they are toxic, do not biodegrade, and are harmful to animals.
- These disposable nappies end up in landfill sites where they can take up to 500 years to biodegrade.
- Handsets and cartridges can take years to biodegrade - a single printer cartridge takes up to 1000 years to decompose - meaning that if dumped in landfill sites these items can pose a long term threat to the environment.
- I am far less plastic and will therefore biodegrade easier when I die.
- That's not where it all ends, for it's been found that some types of synthetic material used for making cups doesn't easily biodegrade.
- There are also thousands of little bits of bin bags, as the biodegradable ones we used to store all the stuff started to biodegrade very efficiently.
- I am surprised at this - I wouldn't have thought it would biodegrade so quickly.
- In our climate, organic waste biodegrades rapidly, which widens our options for dealing with it.
- The manufactured disposable dishes have a very long half-life, meaning that they biodegrade at an enormously slow rate.
- These excess materials often end up as waste in landfills, taking years to biodegrade.
- What make it worse is that the filter of a cigarette is made from cellulose acetate, a form of plastic, so it can take many years for it to biodegrade.
- We ought to get rid of them soon as we can or the bags will biodegrade on us.
- The coating biodegrades rapidly, because it is made from environmentally friendly materials.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.