In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Queensland, we have five of Australia's world heritage-listed sites; 17 of Australia's marine bioregions; and 19 of Australia's terrestrial bioregions.
- I suppose it is not news to say that there are, as yet, no actual self-empowered bioregions in the United States, nor are there likely to be in the near future.
- Our challenge is to activate and re-activate an attunement and awareness for the bioregions in which we dwell.
- By addressing the deeper needs of their employees and community, business owners can grow their companies in new ways, providing more fulfilling jobs, healthier communities, and greater economic security for their bioregions.
- There are many lands in many bioregions, from the Keys to Arizona, Maine to Oregon, because we each fall in love with a particular and different type of beauty and abundance.
- Because the pressures on the environment are more limited, some bioregions are remarkably intact.
- While this investment deficit is a potential problem for Indigenous landowners, it is also a concern for contiguous bioregions that abut Aboriginal land, especially national parks and pastoral properties.
- The levels in this ecogeographic hierarchy include individuals, populations, communities, bioregions, bioprovinces, and the biosphere.
- Bioregionalists aim to find a balance between the resident community's needs for livelihoods and the potential for natural resources in their bioregions, as defined by ecological, economic, and social criteria.
- We continually ask, ‘What kinds of experience, pedagogy, ambience, and teachers inspire students to explore and learn the specifics of living in symbiotic relationships within our bioregions?’
- Obviously the institutions and processes within bioregions would vary as the lands and human experiences on them vary.
- Housing development that is environmentally sustainable should have no net negative environmental impact in terms of global and local bioregions or ecosystems.
- The vision council at the end of this year's gathering agreed by consensus that next year's gathering will take place somewhere in the ‘greater mid-Atlantic bioregions.’
- But there are myriads of other discrete territories, such as deserts, mountain ranges, peninsulas, and islands, that function as bioregions.
- Nevertheless, there are significant differences in species richness and taxonomic composition between the major Australian marine bioregions on the NE, NW, SE and S coasts and shelf faunas, the Coral Sea and subantarctic territories.
- The author argues for further study of bioregions in forest history, using East Africa's Eastern Arc Mountains as an example of an area that could benefit from this type of examination.
- Without a thorough understanding of the biological diversity and ecological processes of the Great Barrier Reef, it would have been impossible to define bioregions in the marine park.
- The Great Lakes make for a problematic bioregion because each lake has a very different ecology and history.
- Scholars were asked to see in terms of bioregions rather than national or tribal boundaries, complicating greatly their task.
- The energy consumed by residents and the embodied energy associated with new building materials might also be compensated for in ways that creatively restore and renew bioregions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.