In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the distance I hear a bird call, a car driving by with loud bass, and some kids yelling and laughing in the playground down the street.
- A thick forest surrounded the countryside generally alive with bird call and other noises.
- Though these usually manifest themselves in communications (as do bird calls or scent markings in other species), they exist as factors in the ecological landscape that shape behavior.
- Canary creates a spectrogram, or visual representation of each bird call.
- I heard a bird call, then a group of bandits yelled as they came crashing out from the bushes.
- Muted maracas shake, didgeridoos blow, and bird calls squawk.
- It was utterly, silent, too - no bird calls or insect chirrups disturbed the sandy desert.
- Their lips were centimetres apart when a loud bird call came from the balcony.
- Only the rare bird call broke the sudden silence now that everyone had disappeared inside.
- As they began to spread out, a bird call broke the silence from the opposite side of the clearing.
- Have you seen the motion sensitive birds that chirp and wiggle with their actual bird call.
- You could believe that someone had miscued the CD or forgotten the bird call.
- Tapes of bird calls are helpful for those who want to learn the sounds of local birds.
- This bird call which is mimicked by children, written about by poets and musically inspired by composers has it's place in nature.
- ‘Frightened bird calls panic the other animals,’ Hall said.
- As the moon was waxing and a nasty storm had just moved through, I was sitting near an open window about 8pm when I heard it… a distinctive bird call not like the usual night birds I hear.
- We had left the woods and were walking on the other side of the fence bordering the park when we heard an unfamiliar bird call.
- The occasional bird call darts through the foliage into the cool tropical air, but on a still night the silence is audible.
- Now your friend, Michael Pestel, who was there with you that morning, with a collection of instruments, he explained to you that there's a difference between bird calls and birdsong.
- Complete with bird calls, the balalaika orchestra brings off an impressionistic piece with free rhythmic passages in a haze of tremolos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.