In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If you ask people to stop swearing or blaspheming, some people will silently respect you while others will go out of their way to turn the air blue.
- Already they are blaspheming and doing blasphemous things against the church.
- Because Faustus has blasphemed against God in his incantations, Mephistophilis has come to see if he can claim Faustus' soul.
- He is telling them to take care, because whoever he might be who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, he will never be forgiven.
- As the text we read this morning makes clear, death is the penalty for blaspheming and cursing God.
- Chesterton observed long ago that we only blaspheme what we hold sacred.
- They are sure that the power that they wield as rulers has won the battle against this one who blasphemes.
- She had come close to death more than once and had known pain so excruciating that she felt sure the demons were tempting her to blaspheme.
- It seemed pretty good to them; you don't go to hell for sinning or blaspheming, but your heaven isn't as good as the people who don't sin at all.
- I swore softly, taking care not to blaspheme in case that increased my punishment.
- What isn't said much these days - a forbidden thought much akin to blaspheming in church - is that modern democracy, as a way of governance, has problems.
- What good does it do that you believe and yet blaspheme?
- I appeal to everybody here not to blaspheme this sacred place with political quarrels.
- He blasphemed the only sacred values of the postmodern West: skepticism, relativism, pluralism and tolerance.
- They drew attention to themselves by shouting loudly and blaspheming against Allah.
- Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is a sin that won't go away - ever.
- Moreover, he indicts his accusers for blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.
- I think that was the first time I prayed, only I wasn't praying, I was blaspheming.
- Even Kathy was looking like she had blasphemed.
- We are also managing not to blaspheme too much.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.