In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After she jimmied her way inside, she punched the pulpit and made blasphemous gestures to the icons.
- The people who stay there are at the same time loyal and treacherous, pious and blasphemous, violent and generous.
- The story begins, as we all know, with his blasphemous worship of his gold.
- The beast does things in the name of God, yet is blasphemous because the motives are wrong.
- I was told to pray, and I mocked them, because I couldn't see the point in it, so I was punished for being blasphemous.
- The church hierarchy condemned it as blasphemous.
- The following query may be a bit blasphemous but I shall ask anyway as it has been preying my mind for a while.
- As Chesterton said, if you want to know what a culture holds sacred, just look at what it considers blasphemous.
- I suspect that it is probably sacrilegious or even blasphemous to suggest such a thing.
- The Iconoclasts asserted that religious images were both blasphemous and impossible.
- Later religions considered this concept blasphemous, as it was akin to man proclaiming himself as God.
- A student once came to me troubled with blasphemous thoughts racing through his mind.
- It may be that this concerns us little, for we remember saying no blasphemous words.
- So what is really so blasphemous and guilt-imposing about magic?
- Already they are blaspheming and doing blasphemous things against the church.
- I believe that they should bail out of a blasphemous and unholy organization that is going down, hard.
- I don't see why you have to look at it as so blasphemous.
- Calendars such as the one shown in the example are blasphemous.
- The application of logic and free discussion to theological questions was considered blasphemous.
- Applying the attribute of reverence to a mortal being borders on the blasphemous.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.