In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hallowed)bienaventuradothe Blessed Roque González — el beato Roque González
- the Blessed Virgin (Mary) — la Santísima Virgen (María)
- the Blessed Sacrament — el Santísimo Sacramento
- of blessed memory — a quien Dios tenga en su gloria
- Let us look next at the sinless life of the blessed Son of God.
- It is a blessed place for our worship, but worship is addressed to God alone.
- A study of the seven-fold occurrence of ‘I am’ in John's Gospel will underline the deity of our blessed Lord.
- May all Am Yisrael be blessed in the merit of the great deeds you are doing.
- Even the birthday of the Holy Prophet, which was the most happy day for the whole mankind, was never celebrated by the Holy Prophet himself, nor by his blessed companions.
- During the service they prayed for God's blessings on their work and had their hands anointed with blessed oil.
- Surely, it immediately seems ironic they should want to marry, when it is a religious ceremony, being blessed under God.
- All the families of the earth will be blessed because of Abraham's Seed, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Amid all the shrines, the libations and the blessed food, it was time to take my leave from the Venkateswara Temple in Helensburgh, New South Wales.
- His death is the divine judgment on me and my sins which he, the blessed Lamb of God, took instead of me.
- Then the blessed Holy Spirit himself, and He, alone, will dominate, motivate, and control your life.
- Another priceless advantage is that a large section of the community is thus enabled to devote itself to nightly worship in the blessed month of Ramadhân.
- Almighty God, from the moment of our creation, we were blessed to be your chosen servants.
- Gradually the call to preach ‘the glorious gospel of the blessed God, the gospel of the good news to lost sinners’, had been developing in Richard.
- Is this the marriage that is blessed or the marriage that is on the brink of destruction?
- Through you, O blessed one, worthy mediator, may we complete the sacrifice!
- Upon hearing that I wanted to know more about Islam and to possibly convert, Mohamad invited me to a men's group where they talked about the Qur'an and the blessed prophet.
- Those who wash their robes are blessed and may enter the holy city via the gates; but ‘outside’ are the polluted and polluting.
- It is an example that has connotations of sacredness associated with the blessed tree.
- Such imitation in itself is a sin; performing it in a blessed night like the Night of Bara'ah makes it worse.
2arcaico(fortunate, happy)blessed are the poor — bienaventurados los pobres
- As I said, we are blessed in ways but hardship in other ways, so.
- Fortunately, I was blessed to become a part of the great humanistic conversation at Princeton University.
- Steve led an exciting, blessed life among famous people, all of whom held him in the highest regard.
- I, for one, am grateful - grateful that we have an army to safeguard our borders, and grateful that we are blessed to have so many heroes among us.
- Our church communities are blessed by the rich diversity of people that God has created as the body of Christ.
- May you be eternally blessed as a member of our people.
- Those men who are absorbed in devotion for Vishnu are blessed in the world.
- The Miles Davis rhythm section were busy men and Pepper was blessed to have such stellar players available for the one day, because the final product is excellent.
- The good news for Gators fans is that the team is blessed at line-backer, with stalwarts such as Byron Hardmon, Mike Nattiel and Matt Farrior.
- But I need to read more about how this concept can serve people who are in danger and are truly deprived of the basics which I am blessed to have.
- Though we know we shall die, we are blessed to be ignorant of when or how we shall die.
- Regardless of these differences: I pray you will be blessed in your practise.
- I was infinitely blessed to get it all, but that leaves me in my present predicament - yamless, on my toes, spinning as fast as I possibly can.
- I cannot think of another artist whose canvases convey so clearly quite what a blessed existence the painter believes he leads.
- We at CHAD were truly blessed to have had her in our lives, she was truly an inspiration to us.
- She didn't want to be reminded of how blessed her Father's marriage was.
- I've also been blessed to be part of a church that nurtures faithful stewards.
- We are blessed at Harvard in not having some imported windbag sound off to us in the Commencement exercises in the morning.
- We, religious people, are blessed in many ways because much is provided just in the name of following Jesus.
- My sister is eight years younger than me, and did not have the Jewish education I was blessed to have had.
3coloquial(damn)bendito coloquialdichoso coloquialwhere's that blessed … ? — ¿dónde está ese bendito / dichoso … ?
- it's a blessed nuisance — es un latazo
- Here at the launch site they were just a few dozen engineers and laborers in the deep wilderness, every blessed thing brought in piece by piece on balsa wood rafts.
- My father is in a hospital in Florida out of his mind on pain-killers while awaiting surgery and there's not a blessed thing I can do except wait for the phone to ring.
- My poor dog just kept looking at them and barking her blessed head off.
- There was not a blessed thing I would change except the stop in Laughlin/Bullhead City.
- And there's not a blessed thing wrong with that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.