In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
verbo transitivoblow-drying, blow-dried, blow-dries
1to blow-dry one's hair — (secarse el pelo con secador de mano y cepillo) hacerse un brushing
- After my hair was free of tangles I took out my hair I took out my hair dryer and blow-dried my hair.
- I finished my shower and had put on a gold cobwebby shirt that flared at the sleeves and tight bellbottoms of the same color with heeled sandals and was blow-drying my hair.
- Just ask any businesswoman running, in high heels, to make her plane after blow-drying her hair and putting on makeup for an hour.
- After blow-drying the hair, Bailey diagonally zigzag-parted the front half into sections.
- She got up and took a hot shower and when she finished blow-drying her long brown hair she went down stairs.
- After running the de-frizzing cream through her hair, rinsing it out, and blow-drying her long, beautiful locks, Hallie ran over to her phone and quickly dialed the number that was so familiar to her.
- Abbey showered and instead of blow-drying her hair, which would be washed and dried and totally restyled by her hair assistant, she pulled it up into a messy bun.
- It's amazing what blow-drying your hair can do for your self-esteem.
- If you're feeling a little bloated, blow-drying your hair at the roots can't hurt.
- Yesterday I was blow-drying my hair and felt a mysterious tug; I looked down to see her blissfully munching away.
- She ran upstairs and began blow-drying her hair.
- Janie was done blow-drying her hair and she took a seat on the bed, ‘I miss Nick.’
- He also advises against blow-drying your hair because this tends to inflate volume rather than reduce it.
- After getting out and blow-drying her hair, she straight ironed it, making it pin straight.
- I was just wearing a towel and was blow-drying my hair… he had been drinking.
- I recommend setting the hair as opposed to blow-drying it.
- Also having a shower and washing and blow-drying my hair made me feel good.
- While blow-drying your hair, use the brush to brush each layer to the opposite direction your hair usually goes to create volume.
- If you're not up for spending extra time washing, conditioning, blow-drying and styling your hair, stick with above-the-shoulder locks.
- Heating up baked beans for the children's lunch, blow-drying her hair in the kitchen, she's going through the motions of an ordinary life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.