In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for beach cleanliness)bandera azul femenino
- We look forward to many more blue flags and congratulate the Local Authorities for their great work at Mutton Island and other locations.
- Italy's Adriatic coast is justifiably famous, and Le Marche has almost 200 km of long sandy beaches and coves, with several resorts flying blue flags.
- The Waterkeeper worries that all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the blue flags is detracting from the major task at hand - cleaning up the lake.
- The big, big, wide sands of Blackpool beach have been awarded a blue flag by the important people in charge of Britains beaches.
- The blue flag award is based on a number of different criteria including water quality, environmental education, environmental management and safety and services.
- Southend was one of a record number of 17 beaches in the region to proudly fly the blue flag this year - a major boost to summer tourism, assuring day trippers the water they were swimming in was clean and safe.
- The awards scheme, which began in 2001, is the equivalent of the blue flag award for beaches.
- The strict guidelines state that beaches that hold the blue flag must ensure excellent water quality for swimmers, the provision of litter bins and the banning of driving and unauthorised camping.
- In South Africa management of beaches would be able to apply until June 29 for blue flag status for the first official season.
- If all goes well, the flags will be flying over those beaches that pass the test by next summer - just the start of what the Environmental Defence's program director hopes will be a flurry of blue flags across the country.
- ‘The West Beach had a blue flag for a time in the 1990s but lost it when water standards were raised,’ she said.
- It has been awarded the blue flag emblem so many times for cleanliness; surely that speaks volumes alone.
- He marked Kerry's tremendous achievement in earning no less than 13 blue flags for the high quality of its beaches by hoisting the prestigious flag on the beach in his native Caherciveen.
- You know the sort of thing; local school fête raises money for hospice, beach wins blue flag award for third year running.
- Despite the incident Kerry beaches managed to retain 13 blue flags which are awarded each year to areas that have attained environmental excellence.
- Sell-by dates on food, rest breaks for workers, water quality standards, blue flags for beaches, controls on animal testing, and genetically modified food labelling all have their origins in European law.
- But less people have gone there in the past year because the blue flag is gone.
- It is also a beautiful place to swim and has won countless blue flags for the cleanliness of its water.
- Thanks to its three blue flags for clean and safe beaches it has become a surfing and bathing paradise, and even sports the odd nudist beach - although whether that will be a major draw for them remains to be seen.
- There are no blue flags flying yet, but if the improvement continues, we could see blue flags flying by 2002 or soon after.
2(in motor racing)bandera azul femenino
- They took a lap to get their blue flags out but he had blue flags for two and a half laps.
- I was quite far behind the leaders at one stage and, as the front runners overtook me, I had a lot of blue flags to contend with and lost some time.
- Approaching my second stop, I did not respect the blue flags and was punished with a drive-through penalty.
- With our revised car, I hope we will not have to endure a race affected by blue flags, as has been the case far too often this season.
- Although it is not written in our rules, between the drivers we have an agreement that if the blue flags are being waved at you, you have three corners to let the faster guy through.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.