In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Emma asked Mrs. Elton about her musical abilities, and she was both modest and boastful.
- Plato describes him as a vain man being both arrogant and boastful, having a wide but superficial knowledge.
- Unlike your average male specimen, he did not look proud and boastful when first me, then Riley squealed over his car.
- Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offense.
- And I don't mean that as an egotistical statement or a boastful statement.
- The brother's got the boastful swagger of your favorite rapper, the entrepreneurial instincts of a street hustler and a pen as swift as his tongue is sharp.
- Loman is a rather unpleasant figure throughout much of the play, a boastful blowhard, a bully, a coward.
- Never arrogant or boastful, they stand their ground and carry themselves with authority.
- At the risk of sounding boastful, I had managed to go for quite a while without incurring any penalty for my illegal parking endeavors, so I was a bit miffed by the recent turn of events.
- At the risk of sounding a bit boastful, I'd like to think that I have a decent knowledge of video games, past, present, and to some extent, future.
- The industry has been quite creative, indeed even boastful at times, about their solutions to this ever-growing problem.
- Also known for his almost demonic pride, he produced masterpieces of boastful verses.
- As I've said before, I don't want to put up pictures, because it seems boastful and ostentatious.
- On the contrast, he had stopped acting arrogant and boastful, and was even becoming shy and modest.
- He can still be boastful though, brash and arrogant.
- He oozes confidence in his ability to please, without any of the boastful pretense that a human with his charms would inevitably have.
- You have a considerable amount of self-confidence, and you like yourself without being conceited or boastful.
- We're tired of Lori's yapping mouth and boastful monologues.
- But I want to remind him of this one simple fact before he becomes excessively boastful, as he is wont to do.
- Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.