In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Local police stations are being closed and people complain that beat bobbies have all but disappeared from our streets.
- If someone comes into the town to cause trouble and they see bobbies patrolling the street it will deter them.
- Police authorities whose bobbies wear helmets for patrols will be given shorter, stronger ones next year.
- Back-up bobbies designed to ease pressure on police officers could actually add to their workload
- Both clubs and the police are urging away fans not to buy tickets for the home area for the game which will be policed by officers from Cumbria as well as local bobbies.
- Beat bobbies and uniform patrols are doing their best to cope by stopping suspects during the early hours.
- Now is the time for North Yorkshire police to put bobbies on bikes.
- In this episode a bobby, an actual policeman, speaks to her rudely.
- In this the mysterious mass murderer whom nobody observes was in fact a patrolling bobby, seen by everyone but noticed by none.
- Local bobbies are stepping up patrols in part of the West End to nip the problems in the bud.
- Cheshire Chief Constable Peter Fahy said bobbies on the beat would become a less common sight as forces race to meet the demands of later opening hours.
- Road policing officers are to team up with beat bobbies to spearhead a campaign aimed at cutting crime in Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale.
- In response, police put extra bobbies on the beat and used a CCTV van to combat the problems.
- However, I doubt that will ever happen, it's too close to Rodbourne and Rodbourne is not known to have policing or a beat bobby.
- In turn this information can be quickly and automatically transmitted to other patrol cars and even bobbies on the beat.
- Worried police chiefs are drafting in extra bobbies and moving traffic officers to regular beats in a concerted attempt to tackle a surge in crime in York and Selby.
- Some councillors and police officers expressed concerns about bobbies being taken off the beat to escort prisoners to cells at Fulford, York.
- The aim is to save bobbies from having to march offenders back to the police station to log their details.
- Beat bobbies are forging closer links with British Transport Police officers patrolling York Station.
- As a lad my small village had a bobby living in a police house locally.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.