In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Not only are workers scanned with metal detectors, but they are also subjected to a full body search by security guards at the end of each shift.
- Currently, teachers cannot carry out a body search or check bags or lockers.
- The line to get into the rally stretched for hundreds of yards as unionists, environmental activists, and fair trade advocates moved at a snail's pace through two lines of police officers, a bag search, and a body search.
- Now, whenever he leaves his cell he will be subject to a body search.
- Please, if you don't mind, you'll have to go through the body search.
- Security personnel became suspicious of her at the entrance to the border crossing, and found the explosives in her pants during a body search.
- Those who enter must first pass through fortified barriers and metal detectors, then submit to a full body search.
- If a dog indicates to its handler that it can smell an illicit substance, the officer can order an on-the-spot body search.
- Every person was subjected to a thorough body search with girls being forced, under protest, to reveal the contents of their bags.
- Each person was subjected to a full body search, said Jennifer.
- A shop cleaner who was subjected to a humiliating body search by a male supervisor has won a claim for compensation.
- During a body search, officers found a .22 caliber pistol and 4 rounds of ammunition.
- In the chamber, they were lined up against a wall and a body search was conducted and the binds on their feet were removed.
- The machine provides a digital image of a suspect within seconds, eliminating the need for a body search.
- An inspection of the rented car and a body search turned up a small amount of gold, four mobile phones and 10,000 baht in cash.
- The body search, unfortunately, did not take place.
- A full body search is then performed, followed by an airport-style scan.
- After a quick body search, the police put 11 of us in a bullpen.
- Clearly going through someone's pockets or handbag is less of an affront than a body search.
- We must wait our turn outside before we disgorge identification and the contents of our pockets, remove our shoes, walk through the metal detectors, and raise our arms high for a full body search.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.