In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hoguera femeninofogata femeninofogón masculino América Latina
- The fire is believed to have been caused by a bonfire which got out of control.
- The pair had been setting off fireworks, lighting fires and throwing aerosol cans onto a bonfire.
- Of course, the smoke did not affect their own houses because the bonfire was at the bottom of their gardens.
- Potentially dangerous bonfires will also be removed in the run-up to November 5.
- But it must also go up to acknowledge that, at that very moment, bonfires of celebration are being lit from one end of the land to the other.
- Warnings have also been issued in relation to fire hazards caused by Hallowe'en bonfires.
- The embers from the dying bonfires still burned, casting ghostly shadows over the ground.
- Last week, I got up at three in the morning, lit a bonfire in my garden, and started fixing the grass.
- There are often bonfires in the back garden of that house.
- Celebrations went on late into the night with bonfires blazing around the deputy's home village of Ardfert.
- Asked to dispose of it, he quietly burnt it on a bonfire in his back garden in Cheshire, the court heard.
- A warning has gone out to people thinking of having bonfires in their gardens after a fire went out of control.
- We ask people to be aware of the litter laws and not dump any type of rubbish for the bonfires on the greens.
- Firefighters are warning that bonfires can become infernos in the current spell of hot weather.
- The burning of life-sized effigies of Guy Fawkes on bonfires is a relatively new custom.
- Across in Biggar, the bonfire celebrations date back to the pagan times when fire was worshipped.
- I was also familiar with bonfires and trash fires, and with the intense heat which they produced.
- The bonfire of burning bras has finally died down and we should admit effeminacy is killing the arts.
- It was celebrated with bonfires, parades and people dressing up as saints, angels and devils.
- She added that the annual Halloween celebrations will see bonfires on the area, only making things worse than they already are.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.