In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(style/culture) librescoone of those bookish types — un ratón de biblioteca coloquial
- Having successfully dodged active service, he spent most of the war in Berkshire, writing radio talks for the BBC and bookish articles for the Statesman.
- Because of a tradition of teaching English formally through grammar, translation, and literature, spoken usage is often stilted and bookish.
- It's movie dialogue, to be sure - no one, especially the sort of low-life characters they tend to write, speaks with such mellifluous, bookish vocabulary.
- Sealed in their Gaelic oral tradition, the Highlanders themselves had little need of a bookish literature, but two great writers were to make them a topic of universal human interest.
- Sayid does use a lot of bookish language.
- For such speakers, Latin had always been a strange, alien, and bookish tongue.
- I have recently realized that sometimes my writing is too bookish and sometimes it isn't bookish enough, all depending on who happens to be reading it.
- I dont see anything wrong with writing bookish English, though it lacks a tad of fluency, its certainly elegant and exquisite.
- Nothing seems to me so inane as bookish language in conversation.
- They employ scientific, or philosophical, or literary, or bookish terms that go over their congregations' heads.
- Even the most bookish work that seems esoteric on the written page can be transformed by actors into the cadences of characters and themes.
- Actually, I find the candidates a bit adorably nerdy when they lapse into this kind of bookish vocabulary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.