In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1buganvilla femeninoSanta Rita femenino Río de la Platabuganvilia femenino Chilebugambilia femenino México
- Tall plants like palms or bougainvillaeas can be put on little trolleys and wheeled across the roads when the clock strikes six.
- A few plants such as bougainvillea and shrimp plants (which bloom with tiny yellow pagodas) flower all year-round, but island gardeners complain that their season is actually quite short.
- How sad to say good-bye to all of the impatiens that finally grew the way we wanted them to, or the bougainvillea basket that was an eye catcher and the fuchsia that all the neighbors admired.
- As he continues along the row, ringing each bell lightly, the sound follows me as my eyes draw me to the bright pink bougainvilleas that reach their limbs and paper-thin petals to the viewpoint.
- It may be quite tempting to turn your back on mankind behind hedges of bougainvillea, oleander, or myrtle.
- He named the plant bougainvillea in honour of Bougainville.
- I received a bougainvillea in a hanging basket at Christmas.
- Anthuriums, roses, hibiscuses, chrysanthemums, lilies and bougainvilleas were some of the other carnations that were on display.
- Miller also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.
- Molina's crew trims hedges, mows grass, and has planted bougainvillea, jacaranda, queen palms and hibiscus.
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Dunn organizes weekend trips during the semester to sites in Overtown, where students work for eight hours planting bougainvilleas, roses, shrimp plants, and vegetables like sweet potatoes, greens, and string beans.
- The bougainvillea had started to flower again, a deep fuchsia color.
- The often-misspelled bougainvillea is a woody tropical vine of the four-o'clock family.
- She was rather thin, with a drawn face and messy hair, the colour of the pink bougainvillea leaves.
- Farther south, bougainvillea and hibiscus add dramatic color.
- There were red and purple bougainvillea flowers, scarlet and apricot hibiscus hedges, flame-of-the-forest trees and the sweetly scented waxy-white flowers of the frangipani trees.
- It is a visual and sensory pleasure, choked with dazzling flowers of every variety, from the voluptuous deep blue of the jacaranda tree, to the multi-coloured bougainvillea or the bountiful hibiscus and begonias.
- The beautiful bougainvillea can be trained as a small shrub, or if left to grow, will develop into a massive hanging vine.
- Exotic plants such as bougainvillaea, duranta and pyracantha have been used in gardens for many years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.