In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(container, contents)caja femeninomasculino cajónmasculino estucheballot box — urna femenino
- before noun collection box — hucha
- jewellery box — alhajero
- tool box — caja de herramientas
- if I leave this house, it'll be in a box — solo saldré de esta casa con los pies por delante
(protector)protector masculinoconcha femenino México
2.1(on form)casilla femeninoto tick all the boxes — cumplir (con) todos los requisitos
2.2penalty boxfemenino áreafemenino área de penaltyfemenino área de castigomasculino banquillo
2.3(in baseball)femenino área
2.4British (at road junction)parrilla femenino
3.1(in theater)palco masculino
3.2(booth)cabina femeninobefore noun commentary box — cabina de prensa femenino
- sentry box — garita
5Britanico coloquial(television)the box — la caja tonta coloquial
- what's on the box? — ¿qué dan en la tele?
6(thump)a box around the ears — un sopapo
1(put in boxes)poner en una cajaembalar
2.1(hit)to box sb around the ear(s) — darle un sopapo a algn
(fight)boxear conboxear contrapelear conpelear contra
- If you wanted to make a film on how to box, he would be the fighter you would want to film.
- Another thing they shared was the ability to box effectively while still carrying knockout power in either fist.
- This man, who weighed 240 pounds and could box, had a good jab, a solid chin, and could punch.
- Again, recuperative powers allowed him to box cleanly and win the round.
- McCullough's career was put on hold for over a year when he was refused a license to box by the British Boxing Board of Control following a brain scan.
- You risk all sorts of things, even without boxing competitively.
- He could punch or box, he had great stamina, fought the best the division had to offer and had one of the best chins in boxing history.
- No fighting style remains a mystery to Hopkins inside the ring and he can box with you or brawl - it does not matter.
- Ntontela who is known for his fierce fighting prowess chose to box instead of doing what he knows best.
- Tall, rangy, smart, powerful southpaws who can box might be Roy's kryptonite.
- How would he have done if he boxed as a cruiserweight?
- They were on the table, and I wanted those fights before I boxed for the British title.
- When a shot is in the air, he looks immediately for an opponent to box away from the goal.
- You have been boxing as a pro since 1992; how much longer do you think you can stay at the top?
- But when I first started to box, it had nothing to do with money or anything.
- As a child, Arguello was a street fighter, and learned how to box from a family member in Managua.
- He was boxing against an opponent who had never been beaten in 45 contests and one of the hottest young boxers in Ireland.
- Mnguni admitted their fight plan was to box outside and keep Jacobs at the end of his punches while effectively using the perimeter of the ring.
- He continued to box after losing to him, but he never fully recovered.
- Why does this boy never have a chance to box overseas and fight real boxers and make real money?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.