In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1juego de las ferias benéficas en que se extraen regalos sorpresa de un recipiente lleno de salvado o serrín
- She added that the fair would feature a range of other attractions as well as Father Christmas, including tombola, lucky lollies, bran tub, a raffle with a bike as a prize and crafts.
- Who knows how she chooses her TV scripts - by herself, through an agent or by pulling contracts out of a bran tub - but the projects have been bafflingly poor.
- Other, smaller operations mix digital, print, TV and broadcast in a bran tub that gives time for everything but finding original stories.
- In the bran tub of languages that is the ‘foreign’ chunk of my brain, you frequently end up with a little linguistic surprise.
- There's to be a Bonny Baby Competition, Fancy Dress, Puppet Show, face painting, balloons, bran tub, games, tombola, cakes and bric-a-brac.
- The Big Ranch shoves a hand into the musical bran tub and comes up with something reminiscent of The Band.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.