In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1banda de música femeninotambora femenino Méxicoorfeón masculino Chile
- But they didn't have any live music because members of the brass band were either at the wedding as family or as guests.
- He said his proudest moment came when he conducted his brass band at the Queen Elizabeth Hall and was moved to tears by the beautiful playing.
- The band is ‘basically a brass band supplemented with a rhythm section,’ she said.
- We were even treated to the melodious sound of a live brass band leading the carol singing.
- But how could a ten-man brass band dressed in gorgeous African robes fail to make an impact?
- There was dancing, a brass band, a choir, poetry and speeches from dignitaries.
- Fairground organ ditties blaring from food stalls soon gave way to the doleful strains of a whiny brass band playing funeral music.
- In November, you can witness a concert in the English brass band tradition.
- He set up a wind band and then a brass band for his mature students and helped disabled groups in their musical productions.
- The ethos of an ancient city was irresistible and we talked about it all the way back to Halifax - when we weren't singing our brass band repertoire.
- The five-strong gang of youths then fled into the nearby Cliffe Castle grounds, where families were enjoying a brass band concert.
- A Queensbury brass band's Christmas concerts could be threatened if they cannot find a replacement for their former leader.
- But one married couple from Bingley have a whole brass band repertoire.
- I would have thought it would have been with an accompaniment of a full brass band, would it not, Mr Byrne?
- Almost every town has a marimba orchestra, which includes the accompaniment of a brass band.
- One hears the strong link to the brass band marches of early New Orleans.
- This sequence verges on comedy: it is accompanied by an awkward rendition of a Wagner tune by a military brass band.
- Carols played by a brass band always provide a popular and evocative prelude to Christmas.
- Soon afterwards, he joined the local brass band, learning first the trombone, then the trumpet and cornet.
- There were fewer adult choirs and the brass band category had to be scrapped due to a lack of support.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.