In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hecho con pan untado con mantequilla) budín de pan masculino
- They're fun, vary in difficulty and range from simple stocks to bread-and-butter pudding.
- I rounded off with a beautifully moist bread-and-butter pudding served with ice-cream.
- Desserts feature all the usual childhood stand-bys: rhubarb crumble, knickerbocker glory and bread-and-butter pudding.
- I could add that even the puddings were up to scratch - my bread-and-butter pudding was one of the better versions I've had recently - but that would be to miss the point.
- Finally, we shared a bread-and-butter pudding, which had a caramelised surface but was cold in the middle.
- I can never resist bread-and-butter pudding with crème anglaise, but the sodden, lumpen contents of my bowl were at odds with the brilliance of the efforts earlier in the evening.
- In our corner of the BBC offices last week, the chat moved from the water-cooler to the canteen at lunchtime over an indifferent bread-and-butter pudding.
- A good-sized portion of bread-and-butter pudding was much more rewarding.
- Even trusty favourites like bread-and-butter pudding are anything but run-of-the-mill here.
- Just as well because the Library was this afternoon presented with some left-over bread-and-butter pudding of which I scoffed quite a big piece - yum!
- The other day they made me a bread-and-butter pudding.
- Of course, some might recommend a bread-and-butter pudding.
- While I polished off the vino, Judi finished with a manageable baked coconut and lime dessert, which she reckoned was more figure-friendly than the white chocolate and whisky bread-and-butter pudding.
- I suggest using hot cross buns to make the most delicious bread-and-butter pudding.
- She apparently favours plain food, such as lamb cutlets or roast beef, with bread-and-butter pudding or ice-cream to follow.
- Belgian chocolate pot with biscuits won over the vanilla bread-and-butter pudding, but most intriguing was the Bailey's banoffee crème brûlée.
- ‘What young blokes need,’ says Dave, dishing me up a helping of his excellent home-baked bread-and-butter pudding, ‘are strong, macho role models.’
- Michael has kindly offered his culinary skills and will be demonstrating how to make the perfect bread-and-butter pudding.
- Eileen chose plain bread-and-butter pudding, which she declared sophisticated and light, and deliciously buttery.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.