In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salsa hecha a base de miga de pan y leche
- A tour of England in the mid-20th century would have revealed that bread sauce (for chicken), parsley sauce (for fish), and cheese sauce (for macaroni) were quite common.
- When it comes to Christmas food I'm completely conventional - turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, bread sauce, stuffing, English mustard and sausages.
- He said the trick with cooking grouse was to keep it simple - but, if they stick to the rules, Atkins dieters may have to forego some of the trimmings that come with the new-season bird, such as parsnip crisps and bread sauce.
- Serve with oven-roasted bacon rolls, chipolatas and potatoes, watercress, and bread sauce or a light gravy.
- Partridge and pheasant taste gorgeous with a creamy bread sauce or fried breadcrumbs, while wild duck is lovely with a little orange zest added to the gravy.
- It reminded me of bread sauce, a wonderful British accompaniment to turkey at Christmas.
- Serve with the usual trimmings - bread sauce, gravy, game chips and watercress salad.
- Roast grouse with poached plums was just drowned in jam (game wants bread sauce, crumbs and red wine in a glass, that's all) and the chicken was stuffed not with salmon this time, but foie gras.
- She makes the best roast potatoes I have ever eaten and her bread sauce is to die for.
- Add your favourite accompaniments - roasted parsnips and red onions, bacon rolls, Brussels sprouts and bread sauce - and finish with a warm mince pie or three, and you have a Christmas dinner worth celebrating.
- Whole roast grouse may still come with game chips and bread sauce but there is game jus rather than over-thickened gravy.
- Spoon some bread sauce around the birds and drizzle over gravy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.