In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(from prison)fuga femenino
- There had been nineteen more successful breakouts from prisons across the country.
- Around the country, prison breakouts were happening at all jails.
- Tensions have been simmering since the breakout in June, when inmates marched out of the compound into the local town to publicise their grievances.
- The escape was the second breakout from Paparua Prison this year in which a ladder was used, raising questions about how inmates can get such equipment.
- The film is roughly based on the true story of a massive breakout from a German prison camp in Poland during World War II.
- All of them were wearing standard prison issue clothes, and it took Rob only a few seconds to work out that there had been a mass breakout at the prison.
- Then I learn from the newspaper that because of a recent prison breakout, a state of emergency has been declared.
- The camps are run by a private prison company and have seen several riots, mass breakouts and suicide attempts in recent months.
- There were breakouts from Sobibor and Treblinka.
- The protesters, who stated that they entered the camp's outer perimeter to conduct interviews with detainees, described the breakout as a spontaneous action initiated by the asylum seekers.
- The breakout brings to 15 the number of awaiting-trial prisoners who have escaped from police holding cells in the Transkei since the weekend.
- When there was a prison breakout by a dangerous offender in his first week on the job, the PLP said that certain people were out to discredit our national pig sty keeper.
- Arrested for involvement in the murder, he was one of eight prisoners who made a spectacular breakout from prison in 1981, while on remand.
- As patriotic sansculottes were urged to join up, anxiety spread about a possible prison breakout in their absence.
- In 1970 the FBI put her on their most wanted list, accusing her of supplying guns for a breakout from Soledad prison.
- Some 38 prisoners escaped in a breakout that also resulted in the death of a prison officer and several others sustaining injuries.
- For a prison breakout film to work successfully, it must have one of three things.
- There have been forced deportations, breakouts, riots and hunger strikes at the harshest ones.
- I do agree however, that security should be boosted in many prisons to reduce the likelihood of breakouts.
- In related news, check out this report on an animal rights zealot allegedly planning a jail breakout.
2(by army)they attempted a breakout — intentaron romper el cerco
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.